'The Essential Guide to Workplace Mediation and Conflict Resolution'
Nora Doherty & Marcelas Guyler, Kogan Page 2008
Want to know why this book is worth buying and why it is essential reading for anyone interested in mediation?
Press 'PLAY' on the clip below to view the 'Book Review' by Phillip Taylor, MBE Barrister at Law
Interested in the latest thinking and the latest practical applications for mediation? 'Essential Guide to Workplace Mediation and Conflict Resolution' is a practical guide to help implement and succeed in workplace mediation
Considering adding in mediation into your policies or work culture? Then read this book first...
The Essential Guide to Workplace Mediation and Conflict Resolution examines the nature, process, uses and skills for employing and using mediation. The authors examine what mediation is and how it can be successfully applied to resolve issues, by presenting a range of techniques and case studies.
Applicable to not only one-on-one conflict, but also at team and board room level, this is the book for you whether you are in the front line and have to anticipate, pre-empt or defuse conflicts in support of productive working relationships, are already a mediator or are training to become one.
"This book is a comprehensive guide to the theory and practice of workplace mediation. Drawing on the authors' extensive experience and including a number of practical case studies, the book explains how mediation works and how it can help both to resolve individual conflicts and to build more effective working relationships."
"Doherty & Guyler have written a superb guide to modern mediation techniques here. It is, in reality, an essential guide to survival by mediation where behaviour has become the ultimate challenge not just for the boss, but for all colleagues."
'This is a very practical book, and not one for the casual reader. For an HR practitioner worried about workplace conflict, however, it is a good read, comprehensive yet accessible. It explains the concept of mediation very well, making this a good resource for those new to it. And the authors also anticipate and dissect the potential pitfalls of mediation.'
Personnel Today May'09
Essential reading for:
- anyone interested, studying or working within the field of workplace mediation
- organisations and businesses considering integrating mediation into their work policies or work culture
- managers who deal with everyday conflict management
BOOK DETAILS :
Paperback, 208 Pages, Dimensions 234 x 153 MM Language English.
CONTENTS INCLUDE :
Part I Workplace mediation
1. So what exactly is workplace mediation?
2. An example of a breakdown in a workplace relationship: Wendy and Mark
3. Just how does mediation work?
4. Finding your way around conflict resolution: what is special about mediation?
5. How mediation can be used within organizations
6. Workplace mediation for teams
7. Team mediation and group dynamics
8. Introducing mediation into your workplace
Part II Mediation in action: case studies of real life workplace mediations
9. Case studies of workplace mediation between two employees
10. Case studies of workplace mediation with teams
11. Case Studies of workplace mediation for boardroom conflicts
Part III The philosophy and processes of mediation: in support of conflict managers and organizational development
12. Why do conflicts arise? Some universal, individual and interpersonal models
13. Why and how should managers respond to conflict?
14. The philosophy of mediation and the business of empowerment
15. Beyond mediation': the culture of mediation and organizational development